JS-Kit Comments

Moth Evolution We Can See

>> Thursday, November 6, 2008

Butterflies and moths are harmless animals, right? I mean, until today, even I thought they were. They only drink nectar or fruit and fly around getting drunk. They don't have anything that can hurt you. Well, this was until I read a Halloween post on Wildlife Promise, a blog run by the National Wildlife Federation. On this post I saw something AMAZING. The following video is from the National Geographic website.

You can find out more here. Scary, huh? This really freaked me out a bit. Happy little moths are evolving a thirst for BLOOD?!?!?! eek! Nature is amazing.They have been dubbed vampire moths. I am just happy that, as of yet, they are found only in Russia near the China border. I can't wait to see what we find out about these guys.

10 comments:

sealaura November 6, 2008 at 12:55 PM  

Hola. Here I am on another break from grading! Wow, you always seem to run across the most interesting at sometimes creepy facts. Muy interesante y espantoso!

Marimoy November 6, 2008 at 1:31 PM  

@sealaura... I have a knack for that! hehe.

Cheryl November 6, 2008 at 3:00 PM  

Creepy but so interesting.....nature never ceases to amaze me......

Marimoy November 6, 2008 at 6:17 PM  

@ cheryl... it really is amazing, isn't it?

Wendy November 6, 2008 at 9:37 PM  

Vampire moths! Yuk! Glad we don't have any here.

Marimoy November 10, 2008 at 7:38 AM  

@ wendy... me too!

Anonymous November 11, 2008 at 1:37 AM  

totally blew me away, glad we don't have them in sunny Florida or do we?

Marimoy November 11, 2008 at 6:37 AM  

@ the queen... no. so far they are only found in this one area in Russia.

Q November 11, 2008 at 2:04 PM  

Dear Mimi,
Oh my goodness. Well,I guess I would give a few drops if my Tiger Swallowtails just had to have some yummy blood. I would rather not.
Wow, very interesting. Mother Nature is astounding.
Great find on your part.
Vampire moths who would have thought??
Sherry

Marimoy November 12, 2008 at 2:21 PM  

@ Sherry, the funny part is we always make a joke at the farm saying "don't worry, we don't have any vampire butterflies today" but now they're real so it's not that funny anymore! :D

Related Posts with Thumbnails
WARD'S is a one stop online store for science education.
CommentLuv Enabled Charles Darwin Has A Posse Science Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory Blog Directory by Blog Flux

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP