JS-Kit Comments

Sunday is SUN DAY

>> Sunday, October 5, 2008

I went to Coki Beach today and wanted to share a bit of my favorite pictures from times past at this lovely beach. But first...

A story behind the locale... Coki Point (spelled Koki also) is named after cute little Coki (Coqui) frogs (Eleutherodactylus spp.) that are common to this and neighboring islands. They are tiny little frogs, called such because of their nighttime song, co-KI co-KI, that fills the night air, especially on this point. These frogs are PLASTERED all over any Puerto Rican souvenirs you may get. I love the sound they make.

They have recently been introduced to Hawai'i as an invasive species. Hawai'ians do NOT like these little frogs as much as we do. They were introduced on hibiscus plants that were shipped to Hawai'i from nurseries in Puerto Rico. Apparently, there are not enough hibiscus plants there, so they get them from this part of the world.

There are TONS of species of Coqui frogs. You can get more info here. Now, on to pictures from 3 birthdays ago when the mother figure came to visit. I love my mom!



This is my cousin in front of the beautiful sapphire water at this beach. Note: the pictures were not touched up. The water IS that blue here.


This is me and Mom (Mom's on the left) snorkeling in front of the now quite famous observatory at Coral World. I am so proud of my mother. She had never gone snorkeling before and we were in about 25 feet of water. Yay mom!


Okay. That is all you get. No more pictures! HA! That is just to make you want to come and visit... nah, really, my internet is being slow today. I'm on satellite so it happens sometimes.


Photo of Eleutherodactylus coqui courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.

All the rest are by me and the hubs... some years ago.


6 comments:

insanemommy October 5, 2008 at 7:35 PM  

Yes, yes, yes. I can confirm the water is that blue if not bluer! Oh, wow Mimi, those are some awesome pictures. AND good for you getting your mom out there. How totally fun!

sealaura October 5, 2008 at 9:52 PM  

I also confirm the blueness of the water and Mimi you know I would swim back to the USVI if I could! Great pics lived them! Keep them coming.

Marimoy October 6, 2008 at 8:13 AM  

@insanemommy... Yes, I was proud of her that day. It was a blast!

Marimoy October 6, 2008 at 8:13 AM  

@sealaura... I guess you could swim through the canal! haha!

Anonymous October 7, 2008 at 11:52 PM  

I am the mom who is also proud of herself. I was a lil scared at first since I am not an avid swimmer or ever done snorkeling. And let me tell you, Wow! Wow! Wow! Thank you Mimi, it was a beautiful experience. I actually started feeling like Ariel (The Lil Mermaid) as I was surrounded by different kinds of beautiful fish just swimming along side of me. I would do it again in a heartbeat! I am so proud of my Mimi, if it wasn't for her I don't think I would have ever experienced such a pleasure.

Marimoy October 8, 2008 at 8:26 AM  

@ The Queen... thanks Mom! I am glad you had fun!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
WARD'S is a one stop online store for science education.
CommentLuv Enabled Charles Darwin Has A Posse Science Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory Blog Directory by Blog Flux

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP