JS-Kit Comments

The Easiest Way to Burn Fat!

>> Saturday, October 4, 2008

... is apparently to do nothing.

In a recent study, mice that were given high fat diets but kept pretty sedentary were less likely to become obese than their very active, also over fed counterparts. Here is a quote from Nerdy Science Blog explaining:
In order to maintain body temperature, warm-blooded animals, including humans, continuously burn fat. It is believed that by burning more fats, people are less likely to become obese. Leslie Kozak and colleagues at Pennington Biomedical Research Center challenged this prevailing thought showing that burning less fat actually reduces the risk of obesity.

There is a lot more to this, including certain genes involved, but this is the gist: if you stay cool (i.e. don't move around) your body works hard to keep it's temperature up, thus, burning more fat. Sounds easy to me... now whether this actually works... we'll see. You can find out more at The Journal for Biological Chemistry.


Photo is Public Domain and can be found here.

8 comments:

sealaura October 4, 2008 at 9:36 AM  

I was so excited to see the title of your post as I sat here drinking my chocolate mlk and dunking a chocolate biscotti. I can certainly relate to our furry friend on the left. I often feel like Templeton after the carnival. :)

In reply to your comment: Yes, I was just in the USVI in the summer and I dream about it everyday. Who knows when I will be able to scrape enough pennies to get back. I thought about getting Norm an agent and going to Hollywood to finance our travel expenses!

Kitt October 4, 2008 at 9:54 AM  

Problem is, remaining sedentary is so boring. But I think I'm safe. If I haven't become obese by now, I doubt I will anytime soon.

Marimoy October 4, 2008 at 1:49 PM  

@laura... haha I'm sure! I don;t worry about it too much because I love food and I enjoy being active! You should get Norm an agent. He's super cute.

@ kitt... I agree! It's so boring being sedentary... I will stick to how I live now. I just think studies like this are silly.

Wendy October 4, 2008 at 6:14 PM  

Sounds too good to be true!!

Cheryl October 5, 2008 at 9:42 AM  

How boring....I would be insane by now......
I would rather eat healthily anyway to keep my mind and body fit and well.....

There is far too much research into diet and obesity, the simple facts are eat healthily, with treats here and there, and get of the sofa and do something.......

I am heading towards 60 and do not have a weight problem.....both my parents and brother do.....I rest my case.......

Marimoy October 5, 2008 at 6:10 PM  

@ cheryl... I agree. I love being active.

insanemommy October 5, 2008 at 7:39 PM  

So agree with you..... how are things on the island? Have you been affected by the housing and gas crisis there? Or are things still strong and steady?

Marimoy October 6, 2008 at 8:14 AM  

@insanemommy.... I think I will have to answer that directly on your page!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
WARD'S is a one stop online store for science education.
CommentLuv Enabled Charles Darwin Has A Posse Science Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory Blog Directory by Blog Flux

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP