JS-Kit Comments

A Mid -Week Visit From Omar

>> Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Well, since most of my readers don't live in the tropics, I figured I would give you an update on our conditions. Classes for the remainder of the day were canceled and will be until further notice. Why? Well, Omar is supposedly coming to visit and we need time to tidy up the place for our last minute guest. As I sit here eating my delicious puttanesca, I am glad that the hubs and I eat at home often because it means we have a ton of food at the house. Our pantry is well stocked. Part of it is our zombie escape plan. Another part is our healthy fear of starvation. Overall, it's nice that we have so much food in the house. We even have 72 hour kits. For those not in the know, a 72 hour kit is a kit that is updated hopefully twice a year, usually once a year (that's us), and sometimes not at all (shame on those people). It contains enough food and supplies (i.e. rope, flashlight, medications) to last you the first 3 days after an emergency. It is like hurricane preparedness for everything else that could happen. If the zombies come, we are ready!

Now back to our guest. As you can see, the projected path centers him right over us. Not cool. If you didn't notice, I have a little countdown clock on the top left of this page. I anxiously await the end of hurricane season. While hurricanes are awe inspiring (to me) and beautifully vicious, I live on a REALLY small island. So you really think the US is going to help us, a little cruise ship harbor, before it helps Puerto Rico? Nope. Puerto Rico has more pull. They have factories and coffee and chocolate and stuff. We have jewelry stores. They win. I know it is only a Tropical Storm, but those are the ones that fall apart and turn into a bunch of little storms with tornadoes! Yikes!

So now that I am done eating and typing, I am going to attempt to button down the hatches or whatever they say. Good thing... I have a gas stove so we can still cook yummies! WOOT!

5 comments:

sealaura October 14, 2008 at 4:43 PM  

oh no! my beloved USVIs! Well I would come help you after a disaster if I could :) Good thing you are prepared. If an earthquake hits me all I've got is oatmeal!

ScientistMother October 14, 2008 at 4:49 PM  

good luck!

Wendy October 14, 2008 at 7:46 PM  

Hope it misses you - or at least burns itself out. Nasty things, hurricanes!

Marimoy October 15, 2008 at 12:11 AM  

@ everyone, thanks a bunch! I will keep you updated as long as I have power.

@ laura... oatmeal?!?! YIKES!

Anonymous October 15, 2008 at 9:03 AM  

Mimi your blog today is really funny although its a serioius situtation. I am very proud of you that you and your hubby don't wait for the last minute to prepare. Living in an island one should always be prepared. I will keep checking in to see how its' going and I hope don "Omar" takes his reggaeton out into the ocean elsewhere and just fizzles out.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
WARD'S is a one stop online store for science education.
CommentLuv Enabled Charles Darwin Has A Posse Science Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory Blog Directory by Blog Flux

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP