JS-Kit Comments

Iguana Drive You Crazy!

>> Wednesday, September 17, 2008


Since I don't even want to think of my stupid exam today, but I do need to teach (yes need... it's a compulsion) something, we are gonna talk about the pretty little guy (or girl?) that was in my post last time, the green iguana.

Like I previously mentioned, the scientific name is Iguana iguana and these guys are super common in the Caribbean and Central and South America. I am also pleased to announce that this guy holds the current record for being the largest lizard in the US.


Eating Habits:

Now I know these guys are really prehistoric looking and have GIANT CLAWS... but they won't bite you or eat bugs or any other protein (unless you feed it to them). They are herbivorous... you know, made to eat vegetation. They love bananas, old mangoes, and hibiscus flowers. This guy here is going after my papayas (right).

Habitat:

They love hanging out in high branches and soak up some sun. They are exothermic, meaning they can't regulate their own body heat like us so they love to bask. I don't blame them... the sun here is perfect for basking in!

Now this is all the information I am gonna give you because when I get enough footage for my iguana video, I do not want you to be bored! HAHA! That is what you call a free sample! I think I may be a bit manic today....

Creative Commons License
Iguana Make You Crazy! by Marizela Moya is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.

11 comments:

Wendy September 17, 2008 at 9:13 PM  

That's o.k. - manic is fun! I'm looking forward to the video. Your iguana looks huge climbing that tree!

insanemommy September 17, 2008 at 11:01 PM  

That is the biggest iguana I have ever seen! Seriously. Thank you for the lesson too. :)

Marimoy September 17, 2008 at 11:04 PM  

@ wendy... I can't wait to see it either.

@insanemommy... They can get up to 6 feet long. Huge. We don't have them as pets here...

Q September 18, 2008 at 9:17 AM  

Dear Mimi,
I am so impressed with the iguana!
Thank you for introducing me and for all the information. I just love learning. Thank you.
Looking forward to your video.
Hugs,
Sherry

Marimoy September 18, 2008 at 9:33 AM  

@ Sherry... Like I told Wendy, I am looking forward to my video too! Thanks for stopping by again!

Anonymous September 18, 2008 at 12:17 PM  

Iguana mia, on the beach looks like something caught his attention. Looks friendly but scarry at the same time. I know what my reaction will be should I come across the iguana iguana.
Looking forward to your video Mimi!

Marimoy September 18, 2008 at 1:20 PM  

@ the queen... They are pretty mean looking in a really cute way.

Bora Zivkovic September 18, 2008 at 11:46 PM  

They can, also, to some extent, control their body temperature - the border between ectotherms and endotherms is fuzzy.

Marimoy September 19, 2008 at 8:26 AM  

@ courtunix... you're absolutely right. They just have such a "range" of constant-ish temperatures and are not as exact of endotherms as other animals we can think of. There is increasing knowledge on the blur between the two, especially in poikilothermic invertebrates. I just keep it pretty simple because I have a pretty mixed readership and I am just giving a really easy to read overview. I don't want to bore my science-phobes! :D Thanks for the link!

sealaura September 19, 2008 at 12:28 PM  

So Glad I made you proyd with my Jtree post. :) I love that Iguana. Earlier this summer while in St. John I came across one and I was so excited! They are amazing you should enter it over at Written/ Carmi's Nature Photograph theme. Happy Weekend.

Marimoy September 19, 2008 at 12:38 PM  

@ laura... I think I might do that.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
WARD'S is a one stop online store for science education.
CommentLuv Enabled Charles Darwin Has A Posse Science Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory Blog Directory by Blog Flux

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP