JS-Kit Comments

grumblings about class

>> Monday, September 15, 2008

I don't even feel like being grammatically correct or anything... so excuse the following post as a scientist-in-progress moment of venting furiously while pounding on her keyboard. Phew! I have a few qualms about a certain professor and their knack for disclosing faculty information to us, the students. One, we don't care who you do and don't get along with. I will find that out at the bar with my other professor friends, not in class. Different setting. I paid for lecture here! Two, don't tell us on Monday that we have an exam in lab on Wednesday. What? We haven't even technically had lab and I don't remember learning anything and we have a test WEDNESDAY?!?!?! I am so grumbly right now. It would not bother me so much if we had a syllabus! We don't even know what this professor's email is! Somehow, however, the other professors NOT giving them a copy of their syllabi for this class is a race issue. I don't get this. Said professor cannot POSSIBLY accuse the professors here of being racist. I go to a HISTORICALLY BLACK COLLEGE AND UNIVERSITY! We are ALL minorities. The professors know this and teach here... in the Caribbean. They are NOT racist. The racist ones don't last a semester. Most of our professors have been here for 10 plus years! Why? Because they love the Caribbean and love teaching here! OMG! I wanted to strangle them. Thank goodness I can vent into cyberspace. Notice how I leave out what class it is this professor teaches and gender. I am hoping they are not one of the people in the VI who reads this thing. If this professor is, maybe they wil see the humor in it. Maybe they won't realize it's them.

To make me feel better, I am enclosing a happy iguana picture. The iguana (Iguana iguana, yes that IS the scientific name) is wild in St. Thomas and throughout the Caribbean. We don't keep them as pets here, but there are tons everywhere and they are so much fun! I mean look at this guy... he knows how to live in the tropics.

6 comments:

The bean-mom September 15, 2008 at 11:17 PM  

Venting is what blogs are for! (um, as long as you don't get caught by the objects of your venting!)

Marimoy September 16, 2008 at 8:40 AM  

@ bean-mom... that is what I was afraid of. I Think it is pretty vague and from what it seems like, said professor is afraid of technology. Does not have email, cell phone, etc. *crosses fingers*

Amanda September 16, 2008 at 9:08 AM  

I'd be enraged. No syllabus? Test on Wednesday? That's just unprofessional and makes it impossible to plan ahead for studying, etc.

I love that their actual scientific name is Iguana iguana. It's fun to say.

Marimoy September 16, 2008 at 12:27 PM  

@Amanda- I agree with you on both parts! It is unprofessional and Iguana iguana is really fun to say. lol

Anonymous September 18, 2008 at 12:05 PM  

I hope they do read your blog, how else will they know how unprofessional they are in certain aspects of life that also affect students. They need feedback whether it be verbally or technically. Maybe they will wake up and smell the coffee. Speaking of which I could drink some fresh coffee right now. Where's Juan Valdez? Ciao Mimi...

Marimoy September 18, 2008 at 1:19 PM  

@ the queen... I could use some caffeine too...

Related Posts with Thumbnails
WARD'S is a one stop online store for science education.
CommentLuv Enabled Charles Darwin Has A Posse Science Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory Blog Directory by Blog Flux

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP