JS-Kit Comments

More Sea Glass

>> Wednesday, July 30, 2008

I know I talked a bit about what you could do with sea glass in my video about it. I wanted to show everyone part of my collection, however, so you all can see that I really do collect it. A lot. I think I have a problem.


Some bottles with sea glass look nice on an end table I have



This is an old trinket box filled to the brim



Another bottle in my bathroom


Now on to the various types of sea glass. As mentioned in the video (I think), it comes in various sizes and colors and a lot of them are a bit more rare than others. The pictures aren't fantastic, but these are a few pieces from my own insane collection and some descriptions.



These are various shades of amber. Amber can be pretty common being the color of various beers and other beverages.


These are various shades of green ranging from the normal kelly green (think Heineken) to seafoam (even though it looks clear here) and various olives and leaded pieces in between.




These are really rare colors. Clockwise from top: orange/yellow, lime green (even though it looks kelly in this picture), turquoise, sage green, and seafoam.



These are all neck pieces from various colored bottles. These are prized for their unique shaped.



These are bottle bottoms. I like these because they are rarely just flat. I'm very excited about the clear piece at the bottom because it obviously comes from a square gin bottle.



These are the "rares" or really hard to find pieces. Clockwise from top: jelly bean shaped, bonfire glass, fused pieces of glass with stuff stick in between, and a complete bottle mouth.

I told you I had a problem, but each piece has a bit of history and I can't resist.



Creative Commons License



Sea Glass Collection by
Marizela Moya is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.


You can find out more about sea glass in many books. Lots of people are addicts too and have written about and photographed their own collections.

6 comments:

Kitt July 31, 2008 at 12:45 AM  

I hunt for cool rocks on the beach of Lake Michigan, and sometimes find some nice tumbled glass, but nothing to match your collection!

Marimoy July 31, 2008 at 8:45 AM  

@kitt- I'm unlucky (lucky?) that I live someplace where there isn't recycling. Also, the town on island is older than the US as a country so there have been merchants here for hundreds of years. Lots of glass. lol

sealaura July 31, 2008 at 11:45 AM  

Pretty cool collection. I really enjoyed the "lesson" about sea glass, via your video and these pics are fantastic. Too bad about the lack of recycling but it seems like you are doing your part :)
PS thanks for stopping by my blog!

Marimoy July 31, 2008 at 4:00 PM  

@ sealaura- anytime.

Wendy July 31, 2008 at 8:02 PM  

I think they are all beautiful!

Marimoy August 3, 2008 at 8:09 AM  

@ wendy- thank you. I am having a hard time NOT collecting it. It's not too much of a problem as my husband is an addict too!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
WARD'S is a one stop online store for science education.
CommentLuv Enabled Charles Darwin Has A Posse Science Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory Blog Directory by Blog Flux

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP