JS-Kit Comments

Lack of Latino Education

>> Thursday, March 5, 2009

Okay, I was going to do my post on fossilized fish brains, but then I saw this article and I had to post it. I don't really know what to post, but mostly I am disheartened with the fact that so many Mexican-American students have perceived barriers in their minds that stop them from pursuing a higher education. Note to all, I am an Hispanic-American, but not of Mexican descent, but this article still seems to ring true for so many. Only 57% percent of Mexican-American Students graduate high school and even fewer (a piddly 11%) go to college. The cause for this? Many students think they will not have the same opportunities as most. This is horrible, but I can't say I am not guilty of this same train of thought occasionally.

Having dealt with prejudice first hand (believe it or not, racism and prejudice are still alive in many parts of the country) I understand why you wouldn't have the self esteem to continue. When people assume you can't speak English because you have a weird first name even though you went to American schools your entire life and you have had people tell you that Hispanics are only good for digging ditches and picking tomatoes... you get a little disillusioned. Never mind the fact that until they KNEW what your first name was, you were considered so bright and so polite. It's hard being brought up to believe that just because of your name, people may not even interview you because of preconceived notions of the Hispanic populous. I'm brown and I'm female... I'm really out of luck now...

This is horrible and I cannot even believe that here we are in the 21st century and we are still bringing each other down just because of our race/ethnicity/cultural upbringing. I thought I lived in America. You know, equal opportunity for all and all those other stupid clichés. This study makes me realize that it isn't just me making a big deal out of it. This really is going on. I have so much more to say, but I am afraid I may scare off my normal readers.

Sorry about the rant. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.


0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
WARD'S is a one stop online store for science education.
CommentLuv Enabled Charles Darwin Has A Posse Science Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory Blog Directory by Blog Flux

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP