JS-Kit Comments

Monday Blues....

>> Tuesday, February 3, 2009


This week I am a bit late. But I am ready!

My picture today is a Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep (Ovis canadensis). The males are commonly known as rams. The horns can weigh as much as 30 pounds which is more than all its other bones combined!

It is on the endangered species list and I was lucky enough to see one in Flaming Gorge on the Utah/Wyoming Border . As you can see, he is wearing a lovely blue tracking collar.


These guys are pretty hard to see in the wild so needless to say, I was very excited when I saw this guy. Bighorns do have a home range. They usually hang out in very protected/hidden/middle-of-nowhere areas near rocky cliffs. Part of their decline is disease cause by domesticated sheep. They are in steady decline and you can adopt one here. If you want to find out more, there are tons of great sites. I may do a post later in the week with a bit more detail. I would be blue if I never got to see one again.



8 comments:

Anonymous February 3, 2009 at 10:44 AM  

Hi Mimi.....at last I can leave a comment on your lovely blog....i have been visiting frequently but could not get to your comment section.sss Anyway........A beautiful creature, lets hope that he will get all the help he needs.....to lose a species is always so sad.ss We have lost many in the UK and it is normally down to man!!!!
Nice to be back with you again......

Anonymous February 3, 2009 at 11:24 AM  

YAY! I have had problems with the script on my blog. Many people couldn't use it for some reason and for others it wouldn't load at all. I am glad you can post again! :-D
s

Anonymous February 3, 2009 at 3:13 PM  

Hola!s Never know what to expect when I pop over here.s Love the new look.s I love that blue collar very chic.s You never know where blue will strike.s i have seen these in the wild in colorado and I had to do a double take because they are so impressive.s Supposedly some of these live in the mountain near my casita ( by Forest Falls) but I have never seen them.

Anonymous February 3, 2009 at 9:04 PM  

30 lb. horns!s Whoa - I wouldn't want to be in his path!!s I hope they do get the help needed so they won't become endangered.s There are too many species going that way.

Anonymous February 4, 2009 at 12:02 PM  

They are really amazing, no?

Anonymous February 4, 2009 at 12:03 PM  

Way too many. I wish there was more I could do.
s

Anonymous February 4, 2009 at 12:12 PM  

Thanks for stopping by my blog.s If you know somebody in your local hospital that could check for you, these towels are great.s Good luck!

Anonymous February 4, 2009 at 1:06 PM  

Thanks! 8-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
WARD'S is a one stop online store for science education.
CommentLuv Enabled Charles Darwin Has A Posse Science Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory Blog Directory by Blog Flux

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP