JS-Kit Comments

Large Hadron Collider Funnies

>> Friday, September 12, 2008

The Large Hadron Collider has been in the news a bit recently. A lot of people have said some crazy things like, "we are going to create a black hole and the earth will end." Okay, these people know nothing about science. Good thing us science types have silly senses of humor.

First things first... What is the LHC?

It is a 16.5 mile (27 km) underground ring (100 meters underground) below the Swiss/French border. It's purpose is to fling particles at each other and make them collide. Hopefully this will give us some insight to the milliseconds after the big bang. It is pretty much the NASCAR of the physicists community. If you wanna know who is involved (111 nations), click here.

I think this will give you the best summation of what this all entails...



NOW THAT IS FUNNY!

...and if you want to know if the LHC will bring the end of the world, go to Has the LHC Destroyed the Earth? website.

I love science humor!

6 comments:

Kitt September 12, 2008 at 11:27 AM  

I'm going to guess the video is that rap I've been hearing about, but I can't get it to play. (Might be a problem on my end.) Off to Google.

Marimoy September 12, 2008 at 11:34 AM  

@kitt... it is the rap and it's fantastic. I hope you get to view it!

sealaura September 12, 2008 at 11:58 AM  

WOW this is all new stuff to me. Good thing I come here for the science 411!

Wendy September 12, 2008 at 12:30 PM  

New stuff to me too! I'm glad we have sensible scientists to put us on the right path.

Marimoy September 12, 2008 at 4:37 PM  

@sealaura and wendy- Thanks for attempting to stay up to date guys. I know most people are a bit afraid of science but hopefully I can help that.

Anonymous September 13, 2008 at 4:45 PM  

ok Mimi so what they are saying is that a single point of intensely focused energy erupted in a cataclysmic explosion, expanding outward to form the universe. and people are saying its going to happen again? But this is only a theory.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
WARD'S is a one stop online store for science education.
CommentLuv Enabled Charles Darwin Has A Posse Science Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory Blog Directory by Blog Flux

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP