JS-Kit Comments

Debate! Designer Babies

>> Wednesday, September 3, 2008

I think I would like to do a weekly or bi-weekly discussion on this blog about controversial scientific issues. Of course, I will see how this goes over first. So now presenting this weeks debate!


The hubs and I were having a conversation last night about what fields of science I distrust the most and I told him biotech or bioengineering. I have many reasons for my distrust of these fields, one being the whole "designer baby" thing. I don't really believe in gene manipulation of any sort. I know that gene therapy can potentially help us avoid children with Duchenne dystrophy and things of the like, but even that I still have my qualms about. Maybe I am a bit alone in this aspect, but I think nature's way of human population control is disease. Biotechnology wants to extend our lifespans. We all have the longest lifespans in thousands of years, or ever depending on who you talk to, yet we want more. I don't think people realize the ramifications of living that long. That just means a HUGE increase in populations and more people to feed around the world. This also means, more waste, more consumption, more economic strain... I don't know. This is my opinion, remember. I also know that bioengineering has taught us about fermentation and DNA sampling. I can plays the Devil's Advocate for this as well. I do, however, want to hear your opinions on these topics. What do you like/dislike about bioengineering?

brewing is a form of biotechnology.

While no longer in print, The Impact of the Gene: From Mendel's Peas to Designer Babies is an excellent read on this topic.

Image from Wikimedia Commons

3 comments:

ScientistMother September 3, 2008 at 5:44 PM  

I worry about the ethics of not medically interfering, for example we spend thousands of dollars to keep a premature baby alive, but then they are mentally and physically disabled. Is that right / fair?

Anonymous February 7, 2009 at 8:13 AM  

I know just what you mean. I know people who spend thousands a day on keeping their child on oxygen. When do you call it quits?

Anonymous February 7, 2009 at 8:14 AM  

not trying to offend remember, I am playing devil's advocate here!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
WARD'S is a one stop online store for science education.
CommentLuv Enabled Charles Darwin Has A Posse Science Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory Blog Directory by Blog Flux

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP