JS-Kit Comments

Feeling Froggy

>> Tuesday, April 7, 2009

I can't believe I am on post 208 and all I can come up with are frogs. I do love frogs, but still. It's okay. My schedule will calm down in a bit. I am a bit over extended at the moment, but I know it will get better. Anyway, enough about me... onto the frogs.

The first frog was big in news in February and was known as the 'frog from hell.' Fossils for a frog that sat at 16 inches high (yikes) were found in Madagascar. The frogs structure resembles a horned-toad (see artists rendition to the right) and if it follows the family trait, would have been an ill tempered frog. The modern frogs- which are found in South America by the way- are ambush-style predators and will literally attack anything that goes by. I would not want to be caught in the jungle with this guy jumping on my head!


At the opposite end of the spectrum, however, is the tiniest frog ever found. The aptly named Noble’s Pygmy Frog holds the record for tiny frog at 11.4 millimeters. It was found in the Andes and is one of the smallest vertebrates ever found above 3000 meters (almost 10,000 ft) above sea level. Cute huh?




1 comments:

The Queen April 14, 2009 at 7:31 PM  

Ok I am also squirmish when it comes to frogs and have gone Matrix on them, of course hurting myself instead. But this mother of frogs you talk about thank God I never have to come across something like him or else I will really need my gloves!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
WARD'S is a one stop online store for science education.
CommentLuv Enabled Charles Darwin Has A Posse Science Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory Blog Directory by Blog Flux

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP