JS-Kit Comments

A Slight Altercation

>> Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Work was a bit interesting yesterday. I work someplace people from all walks of life visit. If you don't remember, I work at a butterfly enclosure. It is no surprise that I have people call me a liar, a genius, a Satanist, an entertainer, and more. Why all the weird and differing responses? Well, some people do not like what I have to say. My tours tend to be a bit more sciencey than most of the other tours. I don't mean to do this, it is just a part of who I am. Most of the people I tour (a solid 98% I'm sure) applaud, tell me I did great, or tip. The other 2%?

Well, they like to argue. Interrupt. Ask religious questions. Try to stump me. These are people who think science is the downfall of civilization and really only came in to see some butterflies. Most butterfly enclosures have a few signs up, but not guided tours explaining the life cycle and other science things. You can tell the type from a mile away. They pretend they don't want to do your tour, then saunter in when explaining the ooze at the bottom of the chrysalis and start to rail you.

Yesterday, it happened to one of my co-workers instead. This co-worker is not usually one to give too much science info. Well, a certain tourist really laid into him. Proceeded to ask us (me and manager lady) questions in the gift shop after the tour to see if co-worker guy and our stories matched up. I had to try to explain the common ancestor theory used in cladistics and the like to this guy. He kept saying things like, "well, it still just a theory." Of course, I cannot keep my mouth shut and had to explain to him that everything we do in science is just a theory because the basis of the scientific method is to falsify ourselves.

We are constantly trying to prove ourselves wrong! Glad I got that off my chest...

Ok. My heart was pounding and I could feel the anxiety kicking in, big time. This is usually when things get really heated, after all. Not the first time I had to explain to someone that science is not evil. Not the first time I pointed out that science gave you polyester blend so you can keep buying cheap clothes at Conglomo-Mart. Or that science is what gives you the ability to watch TV, take a cruise, use a cell phone, walk comfortably in sneakers, sleep on a great mattress and more. I kept smiling. I regurgitated tons of info from evolutionary biology and genetics in a way everyone could understand... and he said "ok!"

I almost fainted.

This never happens. My arguments are getting stronger. He actually said I made sense. I really almost fainted. My manager was so happy she had a pseudo-biologist on board yesterday because she was ready to just write it off as another "that's just your opinion, sir" moment. She said I handled it well. I don't usually get told I "handle things well." Quite the opposite, in fact. She actually was glad I was there because she learned things!

I am pleased.



14 comments:

Anonymous January 27, 2009 at 9:51 AM  

you got it going girl,just do what u love doing,cioa

Recent blog post: WIDGETS - simplified

Anonymous January 27, 2009 at 9:59 AM  

I'm trying! :D

Anonymous January 27, 2009 at 1:32 PM  

Congrats! It's so insanely fulfilling and satisfying to see your explanations hitting home and (perhaps) changing peoples' outlooks.

Anonymous January 27, 2009 at 2:46 PM  

big ups to you. It's always a good day when we help someone understand the nature of science. It's a big plus if we can help resistant people understand that it is an anti-religion weapon. Yeah!!

Anonymous January 27, 2009 at 4:00 PM  

Congrats! I'm so pleased for you. That's quite an accomplishment. One that I have yet to achieve with my own family :-)

Anonymous January 27, 2009 at 5:40 PM  

Wow! Go, you!

Kudos for sticking to your guns!!

The enclosure sounds like a great place. Surrounded by pretty butterflies and science talk? Sold!

Anonymous January 27, 2009 at 7:53 PM  

Sometimes it takes a minute, but reason... reason usually wins.

Anonymous January 27, 2009 at 7:54 PM  

Woot! back at ya!

Anonymous January 27, 2009 at 7:54 PM  

meh... the family is a different matter. You never want to learn from your family! LOL! :-P

Anonymous January 27, 2009 at 7:55 PM  

Now you just have to come visit!

Anonymous January 28, 2009 at 11:08 AM  

you go girl, these are techniques you can apply to everyday moments of crisis. I am proud of you. As you taught did you realize you were also learning self control. :*

Anonymous January 28, 2009 at 11:10 AM  

I think so! :D

Anonymous January 29, 2009 at 2:17 AM  

Awesome! I am horrible at spur-of-the-moment situations like that. I'll think of all the perfect arguments and responses in the middle of the night, after having made a complete fool of myself.

Pat yourself on the back. And so good your boss witnessed it!

Anonymous January 29, 2009 at 7:20 AM  

Yeah, usually I'm like that and end up looking like an angry Latina with no self control (which is true anyway). That was a first.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
WARD'S is a one stop online store for science education.
CommentLuv Enabled Charles Darwin Has A Posse Science Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory Blog Directory by Blog Flux

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP