JS-Kit Comments

General Science Thingies

>> Sunday, November 23, 2008

I really enjoyed doing my Animal News Snippets and other posts in that style. It really allows me to sum up some amazing things without having to spend all day on the computer! So without further ado, here is your update on general science (pretty much all kinds, not just animals like last time).

  • Bahamas- Researchers from the University of Texas at Austin found a very large (grape-sized) single celled organism leaving trails. They had found similar single-celled organisms in the Arabian Sea, but they didn't move. These have definite trails behind them and the trails look like early fossilized trails. For a long time, scientists believed the fossilized trails were made by a multi-cellular organism.
  • Antarctica- High energy electrons have been captured. Scientists believe the findings may help with theories on the elusive "dark-matter." This topic is very complicated so that is all I will leave you with. It hurts my head typing it. :D
  • U.K.- A bird of prey that all but disappeared early last century will be reintroduced in England. The sea eagle is the U.K.'s largest bird of prey and if all goes as planned, they will be reintroduced in Norfolk next summer.
  • Italy- Puppy smuggling is a growing concern in Rome, where a conference was held to face the challenges of this illegal industry. Poor puppies!
  • World- Max Planck Institute of Neurobiology finds that contacts between new cells when we learn stay in place. That means that we never really forget anything. The brain reactivates these contacts when you are being taught these things again (refresher courses), making the knowledge a bit better.
  • California- Researchers at the University of California, Berkley, found that learning the name of a color changes the part of the brain used in perception. Toddlers, for example, use the right half of the brain for color. After learning the name of the color, this perception and awareness switches to the left hemisphere.
If there is anything you guys really want to learn about, feel free to email me at moya [dot] marizela {at} gmail [dot] com. I welcome all comments and critiques! I guess I just want to know what I can do better. I hope you enjoyed your science news!


Picture of the Sea Eagle is in the Public Domain.

8 comments:

Bee Haven Bev November 23, 2008 at 9:39 AM  

Hi Mimi....thanks for stopping by my farm blog. It is so nice when visitors leave comments. Your blog is fantastic...I will be back to read when I have time...sounds like you are a soulful gal with depth! Great to meet you!

Cheryl November 23, 2008 at 1:55 PM  

Tku for mentioning our sea eagle....I have been supporting one of the charities involved in that project.....can't wait for it to happen......

I have read about the puppies before.....how upsetting is that.......

I am learning Mimi. thank you, for all the wonderful info.......

Marimoy November 23, 2008 at 3:51 PM  

@ Beverly... thanks for visiting me too! I love new Blog Buddies!

Marimoy November 23, 2008 at 3:51 PM  

@ Cheryl... I had a feeling you would like that article. :D

Wendy November 23, 2008 at 9:54 PM  

What a lot of interesting facts! I really liked the one about the toddlers, right brain colour perception. Have you heard of cross-sensitivity (I think that's what it's called). Where you feel colours, see music - to name a few. I colour everything (in my mind). For example you will say "what colour is Friday" and I will always answer "blue".
Just thought I'd ask.

Marimoy November 24, 2008 at 7:26 AM  

@ Wendy... I think you are talking about synethesia. I will post on this today! :D

Q November 24, 2008 at 11:10 AM  

Dear Mimi,
Thank you for "science news".
I depend on you to keep me updated...
I am over here with my fibers...
Hugs,
Sherry

Marimoy November 24, 2008 at 11:47 AM  

@ Sherry... just as I depend on you to teach me about fiber and make me feel good about the world! :D

Related Posts with Thumbnails
WARD'S is a one stop online store for science education.
CommentLuv Enabled Charles Darwin Has A Posse Science Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory Blog Directory by Blog Flux

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP