JS-Kit Comments

I Feel the Earth Move Under My Feet...

>> Friday, October 10, 2008


...and NO... it's not because I live near a train. St. Thomas is actually very earthquake happy. We have them here very frequently so they are all really small. Occasionally they get big enough to feel. A few weeks ago we had a little guy, but I felt it quite easily. It surprised me and Floyd had her tail between her legs. It was only a 2.7 magnitude quake, but being on top of a mountain makes it feel a bit bigger, I guess. I know I have been through bigger (according to news) but had no idea because I was at sea level. We have earthquakes here because we are on the edge of the very tiny Caribbean Plate. There are still some people who don't believe in tectonics, but regardless, there is movement from all the plates around us and we have earthquakes and volcanoes in this part of the world.

We are being pushed around by the (MUCH LARGER) North American Plate, South American Plate, Nazca Plate, and Cocos Plate. You can see the believed plates on the image at right.

I am not really sure why I started talking about this, but Maybe it is because the neighborhood dogs all started howling then got quiet, like the last earthquake... except Floyd. She doesn't make noise. Maybe when I remember where I was going with this, I will come back and add to it. *sheesh*

4 comments:

Cheryl October 10, 2008 at 1:14 PM  

How very interesting.....I am not very good at this sort of thing...but I actually understood that.....I am learning.....

Dear Floyd.....

Marimoy October 10, 2008 at 1:59 PM  

@ Cheryl.... I am glad you got something out of that! Lol

insanemommy October 13, 2008 at 9:30 AM  

I always come away from your blog feelign much smarter! Is that possible? :)

p.s. I love the picture of you and your cutie in Utah. Way cute.

Marimoy October 13, 2008 at 11:25 AM  

@ insanemommy... That's what I am going for... I am glad you feel like you are learning something. oh and thanks... I think Nick makes all of our pictures cute!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
WARD'S is a one stop online store for science education.
CommentLuv Enabled Charles Darwin Has A Posse Science Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory Blog Directory by Blog Flux

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP