JS-Kit Comments

Some Storm!

>> Monday, September 8, 2008

A very scary set of clouds moved in. This worries me because my husband is out on the water spearfishing right now. I haven't heard from him.

The clouds are very beautiful but ominous. I love the way they turn the light silver.

SOOOO to distract myself from the scary thought of my husband in a scary storm in the middle of the ocean, we are going to talk about weather!

What is a hurricane?

It is an ENORMOUS storm that can reach sizes of 600 miles in diameter with wind speeds between 75 and 200 miles per hour. They move in a counter-clockwise direction around a calm "eye" The spin is caused by Earth's rotation and the Coriolis Effect. They need water temperatures of 80 degrees Fahrenheit or more to intensify.

What was the strongest to hit land in recent history?

The top three are Camille, Andrew and Dean in that order. I lived in Miami for Andrew and I must say, it was intense. Maybe that is why I have no fear of hurricanes anymore. I am just always ready!


That is all I can handle. I am going to watch my video and make myself laugh.

All photos protected under Creative Commons. You can use them, just give me credit ok?



9 comments:

sealaura September 8, 2008 at 7:06 PM  

Gosh, I hope your hubby is safe. Great pictures. I do like the silvery effect but it is eerie indeed.

Wendy September 8, 2008 at 9:07 PM  

Oh Mimi, - I do hope hubby comes home soon. It's a worry for you......
Your pics were good - eerie as sealaura said.
I'm sending good thoughts your way.....

Anonymous September 8, 2008 at 11:39 PM  

Like u worry about ur hubby I worry about u on that island surrounded by this nasty looking weather. May Mother Nature be good to u and all the islanders..pls update us on the hubby...

Mrs. G September 9, 2008 at 1:50 AM  

The pictures remind me of our honeymoon. My husband and I were fishing (Yes, we were fishing during our honeymoon), when I saw a small twister in the horizon. I was so scared but my husband just asked the boatman if it will come near us but and when he said no, my husband continued fishing. Too bad I was so scared I failed to take a picture of the mini-tornado. LOL!

I hope your husband is fine.

Kitt September 9, 2008 at 3:02 AM  

You're definitely closer to newsworthy weather these days! Hope you husband comes home soon.

Marimoy September 9, 2008 at 7:46 AM  

@ everyone... thanks for all the warm thoughts. He did have to chase ahead of a rainstorm, but he's ok. He was feeling adventurous is all he could tell me. What am I going to do with him?

The bean-mom September 9, 2008 at 5:24 PM  

Glad to hear your husband made it back okay! The pictures are indeed ominous. I've always loved storms--as long as I'm safely inside!

Fifi Flowers September 12, 2008 at 3:32 PM  

Great photos!
Storms are scary and horrible when they are so destructive... BUT they are truly magnificent, amazing and many times BEAUTIFUL!

Marimoy September 12, 2008 at 4:28 PM  

@fifi flowers- thank you and welcome to the site!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
WARD'S is a one stop online store for science education.
CommentLuv Enabled Charles Darwin Has A Posse Science Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory Blog Directory by Blog Flux

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP