JS-Kit Comments

Updated Solar Cells

>> Friday, August 29, 2008


In a post I made Wednesday, I mentioned how my favorite wind energy turbines were killing off bats. Well, lucky for me, later that evening I stumbled across an article about a young woman who has recreated photovoltaic (solar) cells to make them cheaper to manufacture. Her name is Nicole Kruepper and she is making herself quite the science celebrity these days. According to various articles, including one at Precinct, she has created better cells out of cheaper supplies making the reality of renewable energy for even the poorest of people seem within reach. The most exciting part is she is only 23! It makes me feel old. A young woman in the sciences is amazing nonetheless and she won 2 Eureka! Awards for her research. These are super prestigious science awards given out in Australia. The above article has a picture... and she's cute. This just isn't fair. I'm excited anyway!

5 comments:

Cheryl August 29, 2008 at 1:46 PM  

Young, talented and beautiful.....she seems to have it all......

A very clever young lady.....

Q August 29, 2008 at 3:35 PM  

Dear Mimi,
Thanks for the link!
I would love to go solar and get off the grid.
Good for her.
Sherry

Marimoy August 29, 2008 at 6:12 PM  

@Cheryl- I want to meet her...perhaps some of it will rub off on me!

@Sherry- I am working my way off, little by little. I have a cistern and that is a great start. That is my only source of water. :D

Wendy August 29, 2008 at 9:15 PM  

Bravo to Nicole! I hope things work out for her - and all of us!!

Marimoy August 30, 2008 at 7:27 AM  

@wendy- me too! To make photovoltaic cells out of old ovens and nail polish... that is really gonna revolutionize the solar energy market.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
WARD'S is a one stop online store for science education.
CommentLuv Enabled Charles Darwin Has A Posse Science Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory Blog Directory by Blog Flux

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP