JS-Kit Comments

The Black is Back

>> Thursday, October 2, 2008


The first Black Rhino (Diceros bicornis) from a breeding program was released into the wild recently and the BBC was there to see it. This is really amazing seeing as the population is about 500 today down from an estimated 20,000 in the 1970's. The videos are amazing and it is great to see that their breeding is overcoming the major setback of last year.

Rhinos are solitary creatures that only come together for mating. Because of this, and the fact that gestation is up to 16 months, they don't really breed at a very rapid pace. It has been an effort to get this far with these majestic and powerful creatures. I am excited to share this story with you all. Hopefully, I will be able to see Black Rhinos in the wild one day. I was worried I wouldn't be able to a few months ago!


Photo used under license via Creative Commons.

Photo taken and uploaded by Matthew Field http://www.mattfield.com

3 comments:

Wendy October 2, 2008 at 9:24 PM  

I think they're scary!
It is a shame when animals are endangered of becoming extinct.
I hope this breeding program works!

Marimoy October 2, 2008 at 9:34 PM  

@wendy... me too. With only five hundred in the wild they are in danger of serious genetic drift... making them even more likely to die.

Anonymous October 3, 2008 at 1:02 PM  

I had left my comment but evidently it didn't save sorry, and now the inspiration is gone

Related Posts with Thumbnails
WARD'S is a one stop online store for science education.
CommentLuv Enabled Charles Darwin Has A Posse Science Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory Blog Directory by Blog Flux

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP