JS-Kit Comments

Transgendered Dog

>> Thursday, September 25, 2008










I know this is a strange title for a post, but it is not without reason. Today's topic is my dear doggy, Floyd. I realized that 1) I will never think my footage on my dog is good enough for a video (she deserves better!); and 2) you haven't been formally introduced to my "child." So all my readers (all 3 of you), meet Floyd (Canis familiaris). Floyd was an "acquired" dog. Her previous owners did not like her. How could you not like this cute thing?!?!





They didn't even know she was a "she" and named her Floyd. When I (took) got her, I went straight to the vet and everything she could possibly have wrong, she did. Heartworms (Dirofilaria immitis) so bad, she had to get TWO treatments, UTI, severely underweight, and she was afraid of barking or jumping (things I consider normal dog behavior) to boot. The last thing I needed to do was change her name too! She is my Floyd and it suits her.



She's an adventurous sort, like her parents/owners, and goes to all the weird hikes and locations with me. I can't wait to bring her on vacation with me to Utah. I think she would love it.



She is a special breed of dog, known in North America as "mutt" and here on island as "coconut retriever."

She is a bit confused in that she seems to really be a bit of a lesbian and will "mount" other female dogs at the beach. It's quite funny. She doesn't like most men either... though with her previous owner, I don't blame her.



She didn't make a sound the first two weeks we had her and the first time I heard her bark, I thought a bigger dog was trying to eat her. She has a FEROCIOUS bark for a mid size dog. It's cute. It only comes out rarely and when it does, she means business.

Also like me, she is insatiably curios and loves to nap on rainy days. Oh, and she steals fresh baked chocolate chip cookies. I know chocolate is bad for dogs, but try telling her that. The puppy dog face she makes when I scold her for it... sheesh!

Well I hope you have all enjoyed meeting "Pobresita" Floyd (what my husband calls her).

12 comments:

sealaura September 25, 2008 at 10:20 AM  

Floyd is an angel! That was a great post. Norman Alexander sends his regards :) Kisses to la Pobrecita de Floydsita.

BTW are thoe colorful building on St. Thomas shops?

Marimoy September 25, 2008 at 10:41 AM  

@ Laura, thanks! I see you caught my misspell. I did that just to take a jab at the hubs cause if he sees it's misspelled or in quotes he knows I am making fun of his "mucho americano" accent. :D

Kitt September 25, 2008 at 12:49 PM  

Aw, she's sweet! And Floyd is a good name.

Marimoy September 25, 2008 at 2:21 PM  

@ kitt... yes, I think it suits her well.

Cheryl September 25, 2008 at 3:55 PM  

Floyd I love you.....you have personality and attitude.....you are welcome to come and visit my dogs anytime............I have a terrier who was a rescue dog, and had been abandoned in the streets........its taken time but she is settled here now and I love her to bits....she also has attitude.....

Great Floyd post......

Marimoy September 25, 2008 at 4:48 PM  

@ Cheryl... aren't rescue dogs the best. They have such unchanging personalities. They know who they are already, but love you to bits for loving them with all their "skeletons." I am sure she would love to come visit. I think she knows we are talking about her because today, every time I type, she licks my toes!

marmee September 26, 2008 at 7:07 AM  

what a cutie. poor floyd had a rough go of it at first, i am sure she is very happy to be in a loving home. i also have a mutt(14 years young.) maggie is quite the charactor too. we have 2 chessies as well.

Q September 26, 2008 at 5:40 PM  

Dear Floyd,
So happy to meet you.
How could anyone not fall head over heels in love with that face?
So glad you have a friend to hike with.
Sherry

Anonymous September 27, 2008 at 11:14 PM  

I love Floyd, we can relate, after all we are both mutts...

Marimoy September 28, 2008 at 9:56 AM  

@ the queen..you are the only one who has met her so you really know what a unique personality she has. I just hope this let's people know that just becuase she is not a purebred doesn't make her less cool of a dog. She's my pal and I hope people will adopt more strays and take care of more rescue animals like the people above seem to understand. I am suprised at the amount of attention my little Floydine is getting!

ScienceWoman October 1, 2008 at 3:09 PM  

She's beautiful - I especially love the last picture. Makes me want to go home and give the Princess Pup (another mutt semi-rescue) a good hug and a good walk.

Marimoy October 1, 2008 at 4:23 PM  

@ sciencewoman... Thanks. I can't believe how popular this post has become.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
WARD'S is a one stop online store for science education.
CommentLuv Enabled Charles Darwin Has A Posse Science Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory Blog Directory by Blog Flux

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP