JS-Kit Comments

More Corn

>> Thursday, July 3, 2008

My post yesterday got me thinking of the amounts of corn I am going to eat this weekend whether in the form of cornbread, corn on the cob, the cornflakes that make fried chicken so crispy and other things (like the horrid high fructose corn syrup that makes soda-pop so yummy). This, in turn, got me thinking of what health benefits fresh corn has (not the evil refined things we get force fed in our cereals and juices). I can't help these trains of thought, I'm a science geek. It happens daily.

The good news is fresh ears of corn (grilled with a tiny drizzle of olive oil and salt please!) are LOADED with fiber and B vitamins. Corn also has a lot of complex carbs and essential fatty acids. If you are a carb friendly person, like me, this doesn't seem so scary. White corn is deficient in vitamin A but yellow corn has plenty of vitamin A. Corn also has lutein, so it's good for your eyes! There is even a bit of vitamin C, vitamin E, folic acid, magnesium and phosphorus.
A serving is 1/2 a cup and counts as starchy veggies.

Now that guilty pleasure doesn't seem so guilty does it? Get to grillin'!

Happy Emancipation Day! (July 3rd, Virgin Islands)


Photo from the USDA website so is Public Domain.

1 comments:

insanemommy July 4, 2008 at 4:50 PM  

Hey thanks for stopping by! I threw that post up as I've been pretty bogged down with the girls and work. I know, it's lame. Love your blog btw. More importantly love that you live in St. Thomas. Use to be a "playground" of mine a few short years ago... Did a lot of island hopping then. Of course made it easy working for the airlines... Loved your documentary on Viscaya. We are from southeast Florida! Made me homesick for home.

p.s. your dh is a "honey"...

Related Posts with Thumbnails
WARD'S is a one stop online store for science education.
CommentLuv Enabled Charles Darwin Has A Posse Science Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory Blog Directory by Blog Flux

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP